Deciding on a roof is one of the most important decisions when it comes to home ownership. Metal roofing offers excellent advantages over other roofing systems. What are some things to ponder when considering a residential metal roof system?
Metal roofing systems last for decades, many times for the life of the home. This is always listed at the top of benefits when compared to asphalt shingles.
- Metal roofing systems can last for 25 to 50 years, when properly installed and maintained.
- They are minimally affected by mold, moss or fungal growth.
- Termites and other pests just don’t stand a chance against metal sheeting which asphalt shingles just can’t compete with.
Port Orchard Roofing is proud to offer a 50-year material warranty and a 25-year workmanship warranty for all roofing services we provide.
Metal roofing can sustain a variety of weather conditions. Snow and ice slide off of a metal roof easier than on an asphalt roof. The surface of the metal sheet is hard and slippery which makes the snow and water unable to grip. The sliding snow off of the roof is a significant benefit, reducing the weight on the home.
Most metal roofing systems carry the highest rating possible against fire damage, a Class A fire-resistant rating. A common cause of residential fires occurs when wind-blown embers get trapped under asphalt shingles, so metal roofs offer much-needed protection in fire-prone areas.
Easy to maintain
Maintenance on a metal roof is minimal.
- For starters, it is important to keep your gutters clear of debris, especially if you live surrounded by a lot of trees.
- Branches and trees can scratch up your roof, which could cause damage to the sheets.
- Keep an eye on any dirt or stains after severe storms.
- Cleaning the roof with a mild detergent mixed with water is an excellent way to keep your roof looking new.
Usually, twice a year is an excellent schedule for roof maintenance.
Metal roofing has been shown to reduce interior cooling costs by as much as 20% because, as the reflective sheets diminish the warm rays of the summer sun. This results in less heat being transferred into the interior of the home.
Rarely do metal roofs become waste in a landfill, unlike asphalt roofing material. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), about 11 million tons of asphalt shingles end up in our landfills. Metal roofing can be 100% recycled and used for other projects such as outdoor sculptures, shelving units, or attractive table tops.
As stated above, metal roofs can last decades, making the investment in a metal roof a great value. The initial cost of installation will be greater than the cost of an asphalt roof, however it is well worth the cost when the lifespan of the roof is considered. A metal roof can improve the resale value of a home by up to 6% when compared to an asphalt shingle roof.
The benefits of a high-quality metal roof greatly outweigh those of other roofing systems. Port Orchard Roofing is a knowledgeable, trusted roofing company ready to meet your residential home needs with ease and confidence. Our reputation is evident as we are BBB A+ accredited, Angie’s list certified, and an NRCA member.